Choosing to transform your appearance through plastic surgery is a significant life decision that deserves careful consideration. The quality of your surgical outcome is equally influenced by the procedure you choose and the expertise of the surgeon you entrust with your care.
As an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon, I understand the gravity of this choice. The following tips will help you find the best plastic surgeon for your needs.
Ask For Recommendations From People You Trust
When beginning your search, there’s no substitute for word-of-mouth recommendations. Talk to friends, family, or health care providers who can offer insights and suggestions. Reading online reviews and testimonials can provide additional perspectives.
Board Certification Is a Must
Board certification involves a rigorous process that ensures a plastic surgeon has undergone extensive training, passed challenging exams, and met all the stringent criteria set by their specialty board. This isn’t just a sign of competence; it indicates that the surgeon adheres to high ethical standards and is committed to continuous learning.
How To Check if a Plastic Surgeon Is Board Certified
How can you make sure the surgeon you’re considering has this essential credential? These are some steps to guide you:
- Visit the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) website. This is the leading board for plastic surgery certifications, and the surgeons listed here meet the highest standards in the field. The ABPS website offers a simple, user-friendly search function: Simply enter the surgeon’s name and check if they’re listed as certified.
- Each state has its own medical board that lists the credentials of practicing surgeons. A quick search can reveal certifications and any disciplinary actions or malpractice suits.
- Contact the surgeon’s office. If online resources leave you uncertain, don’t hesitate to ask the surgeon’s office directly. They should readily provide this information.
- Consult other verified medical websites. RealSelf, for example, is a good resource for anyone considering plastic surgery. The platform offers first-hand accounts, allowing you to read about other patients’ experiences with specific surgeons and procedures, helping you make an informed decision.
Schedule a Consultation
Once you’ve narrowed your selection, the initial consultation is your best opportunity to gauge not only the surgeon’s skill but also their aesthetic sensibility. It’s your chance to ask all those questions you’ve been gathering.
If you need a little help thinking of questions to ask, here are a few suggestions:
- How many times have you performed this specific procedure?
- What are the risks or potential complications associated with this procedure?
- What is the total cost (including fees, anesthesia, and any other additional costs)?
- What’s the expected recovery time?
- Can you provide before-and-after photos of patients who’ve had the same procedure?
What To Look for When Viewing Before & After Photos
Before-and-after photos can offer a glimpse into the surgeon’s expertise and aesthetic approach. Look for consistency in outcomes and pay attention to details that matter to you. However, remember that each individual is unique, and results can vary.
Why Open Communication Is Vital
A successful plastic surgery experience relies on good communication. You should feel comfortable discussing your concerns, goals, and expectations. And the way the surgeon communicates with you should make you feel confident about your choice. When everyone is working toward the same goal and communication is clear, the overall experience and results are more satisfying.
Ready To Take the Next Step?
Please visit our gallery to view before-and-after photos for a range of procedures.