Do you always look tired even if you don’t feel that way? Are your eyelids causing functional problems with your vision? Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Frederick K. Park performs eyelid surgery, technically called blepharoplasty, in Rocky Mount to help women and men from areas like Greenville, Wilson, Weldon, and Murfreesboro, NC, rejuvenate their appearance and enhance their quality of life.
What Is Eyelid Surgery?
Eyelid surgery is one of the most common procedures Dr. Park performs. This facial plastic surgery procedure can improve the appearance of either the upper lids, lower lids, or both. Upper eyelid surgery can also improve peripheral vision for some patients.
Dr. Park’s Approach:
“The eyes have many classic aging changes. Patients note that their upper eyelid skin is too abundant and hangs too low, that they appear tired from lower eyelid dark circles and bags, that their eyebrows seem to have fallen, and that fine wrinkling has taken over their eyelid skin.
The good news is that there are excellent techniques to reverse these changes. With facial plastic surgery, the skin can be removed and tightened, fat can be removed and repositioned, wrinkles can be lasered smooth, and the brows can be lifted.
The fear that some patients have that they will look “surprised” after eyelid surgery can be easily avoided with good, conservative techniques.
Rejuvenate your eyes and you are on your way to a more youthful appearance.”
What’s Upper Eyelid Surgery?
Upper eyelid surgery removes lax upper eyelid skin and surrounding pockets of fat that can make patients look tired and aged. Some patients need a brow lift instead of or in addition to upper eyelid surgery to look rejuvenated.
What’s Lower Eyelid Surgery?
Lower eyelid surgery can provide any combination of the following benefits:
- Tightening lax, crepey skin under the eyes
- Reducing puffy under-eye bags
- Raising drooping lower eyelids that reveal white below the iris
- Softening dark circles under the eyes (shadows from the puffiness)
Under-eye darkness caused by excess pigmentation can often be softened with a chemical peel.
How Much Does Eyelid Surgery Cost in Rocky Mount?
The cost of eyelid surgery in Greenville, Halifax, and Rocky Mount, NC, varies with a number of factors including the specifics of the surgery (top eyelids, bottom eyelids, or both), type of anesthesia, and your surgeon’s level of expertise. The best way to determine your pricing is to meet with Dr. Park for a private consultation.
For upper eyelid surgery, Dr. Park conceals the incisions in the natural eyelid crease. Dr. Park performs lower eyelid surgery through incisions placed within the lower eyelids or along the lower lash line depending on individual needs. Through the incisions, he removes excess skin and redistributes bulging fat pockets.
Can Eyelid Surgery Be Combined With Other Procedures?
Many patients choose a more complete facial rejuvenation by combining eyelid surgery with a brow lift and/or facelift. Nonsurgical options such as dermal fillers and BOTOX® Cosmetic can enhance blepharoplasty results as well.
How Long Does It Take To Recover From Blepharoplasty?
After eyelid surgery, avoid rubbing the eye area or putting direct pressure on the incision while healing. While experiences vary, the recovery process typically involves the following considerations:
- Return to work: Most patients are ready to return to non-strenuous work and activities in 7 to 10 days.
- Swelling and bruising: To minimize normal swelling and bruising around the eyes, apply ice packs consistently as directed. It also helps to keep your head elevated at all times for the first week by sleeping in a recliner or propped up in bed with pillows.
- Incisions: If you have external incisions, keep them clean and apply antibiotic ointment as directed. Lightly dab any leakage with sterile gauze.
- Sutures: Upper eyelid sutures are removed within 5 to 6 days. In most cases, lower eyelid surgery sutures are dissolvable and do not need to be removed.
- Makeup: Eyeshadow, eyeliner, and mascara should not be applied until the incisions have healed, which can take 2 to 3 weeks. You can apply makeup to hide bruising under the eyes after about 10 days, as cleared by Dr. Park.
- Exercise: Gentle walking is encouraged right away to increase circulation and promote healing. Nonstrenuous activities and exercise may be resumed after 2 weeks. Most patients are ready to return to their regular workouts after 4 to 6 weeks.
- Contact lenses: To avoid pulling on your eyelids and minimize the risk of infection, do not wear contact lenses for at least a week after upper eyelid surgery and 2 weeks after lower eyelid surgery. Swelling around the eyes can make contact lenses uncomfortable as well.
Eyelid Surgery FAQ
What’s the best age for a blepharoplasty?
Dr. Park performs blepharoplasty for adults of all ages, so there is no “best” age for having the procedure. He helps younger patients address concerns due to genetics such as naturally heavy eyelids. In middle age to older patients, he can correct skin laxity and fat deposits associated with the natural aging process.
Are you awake during blepharoplasty surgery?
Depending on your surgical plan and personal preferences, Dr. Park may perform blepharoplasty while you are awake using a local anesthetic or with general anesthesia so you sleep through the surgery.
Will lower eyelid surgery correct dark circles?
If the dark circles are due to puffy bags or hollows under the eyes, lower eyelid surgery can restore a refreshed look. Other causes such as excess pigment will require a different solution like a chemical peel.
Do you look younger after the procedure?
Dr. Park believes the eye area is the single most effective area to rejuvenate when trying to restore a more youthful appearance of the face. Addressing sagging skin and fat deposits can open up the upper face, making patients look both younger and refreshed.
Is the surgery painful?
While bruising and swelling are common after eyelid surgery, patients are often surprised by how little discomfort they experience. Most do not need pain medication at all.
Will an upper blepharoplasty affect my eyelashes?
No. The incisions are placed in the upper eyelid crease away from the upper eyelashes, where it is hidden when you open your eyes.
How long do eyelid lifts last?
Results from an upper eyelid lift typically last at least 5 to 10 years because the natural aging process continues. Lower eyelid surgery results last indefinitely with healthy habits and consistent protection from the sun. The skin under the eyes will continue to age, so wrinkles may eventually develop.
Are there nonsurgical alternatives to eyelid surgery?
Patients with minimal eyelid sagging and brow heaviness may benefit from BOTOX® Cosmetic and dermal filler injections instead of eyelid surgery; however, most have lax skin and pockets of fat that need to be physically removed. Results from surgery are more noticeable and last much longer than nonsurgical treatments as well.
If you are interested in eyelid surgery and want to schedule a consultation with Dr. Park, please call us at (252) 888-2691. For questions or comments, or to learn more about the services we provide, please complete and submit our contact form.